Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thoughts of an unemployed textile designer.

It occurred to me today, that I have been an unemployed textile designer for six months now.  SIX MONTHS.  I worked every weekday for 21 years, and then...nothing.  I was suddenly and somewhat knowingly thrown out of the world of the employed. It seems that there should be some outlet for those of us who put so much of our lives into the creative process, and then found ourselves in need of a good creative outlet.  I have good ideas every day. I am not so sure I know how to stop having ideas. I think of pattern concepts and even go so far as to sketch them into quick design files on Photoshop. I have developed a six month log of ideas and patterns. Who needs pattern work these days?  Someone out there must still be looking for that next great pattern.  Also, what is to happen to the great art of weave design.  I know that weave design might not seem like a "great art" to most folks, but to me it is magic.  I worked in Textiles for 21 years and only met a handful of people who could design a great construction or draft innovative weaves and apply them to the perfect pattern.  Anyhow, I am going to try to write here as often as I can with some hope of finding others who have similar thoughts and or ideas.  Perhaps I will post pattern ideas or thoughts.  Any way I look at it, this process has to be better than keeping my ideas cooped up in my own head.  At least there will be a chance that someone else will enjoy my crazy creative rantings....

No comments:

Post a Comment